The past few years have brought big budget movies to Nollywood. The industry has moved away from the quick-and-easy movies that can be completed in a few weeks, to movies that take months to a year, from scripting to release, and these require massive budgets. Of course, all parties and stakeholders involved in the production expect that these movies would do well at the box office.
A number of the big budget movies are bought directly by the streaming services. These include: King of Boys 2 and Blood Sisters that were released directly to Netflix. However, most of them have cinema runs before they are picked up by the streaming services, and the best of them enjoy some box office successes. Below is a list of the top 15 Nollywood movies that hit above 150,000 million Naira in the Nigerian box office and how much they generated in Naira.
List of the highest-grossing Nigerian films
Below are the top 15 highest-grossing Nollywood movies and films, with the year of release, and Box Office takings.
- Omo Ghetto: The Saga (2020): ₦636,129,120
- The Wedding Party (2016): ₦452,288,605
- The Wedding Party 2 (2017): ₦433,197,337
- Chief Daddy (2018): ₦387,540,749
- King of Thieves – Agesinkole (2022): ₦320,805,150
- Sugar Rush (2019): ₦287,053,270
- Christmas in Miami (2021): ₦265,583,000
- King of Boys (2018): ₦244,775,758
- Merry Men 1 (2018): ₦235,628,358
- Merry Men 2 (2019): ₦234,505,169
- Your Excellency (2019): ₦186,340,948
- 10 days in Sun City (2017): ₦176,705,669
- Living in Bondage 2 (2019): ₦168,770,202
- 30 Days in Atlanta (2014): ₦163,351,300
- Aki & PawPaw (2021): ₦136,379,049
Join Our Tribe on Twitter: For updates on new Nollywood movie reviews, cinema reviews, and Nigerian movie personalities, join our tribe on Twitter @NollyRated.
- Blossom Chukwujekwu: Movies, Biography - March 18, 2023
- Far From Home (Relationships and Connections) - March 17, 2023
- Movie Review: Jolly Roger (2022) on Netflix - March 16, 2023